As Earth Day approaches, it's a great time to build awareness about how we can better protect this beautiful planet. We asked our Team Sensi athletes how they do their part, and as ever, they are quick to inspire. Read on to get ideas to boost your own eco-friendly efforts!
Surfer Alexa Hohenberg was recently in Bali, where she recently organized a beach cleanup with local kids, showing them the benefits of picking up and recycling! She also writes:
- After every surf, I take 3 or more bits of trash out with me - Inspired by the not for profit Take 3 for The Sea
- I travel with a bamboo straw and always order drinks saying 'no straw'. If they don't have bamboo straws here in Bali, I buy them some to use and give to customers.
- This year I am trying not to buy any new clothes - i'm repairing old clothes and donating what I don't need.
- I am actively promoting mineral sunscreens over chemical sunscreens that contain Oxybenzone and damage the coral reefs. Raising awareness about this is so important as there are great natural alternatives out there. So much sunscreen ends up in the ocean and it is doing so much damage!
- I started using a Moon Cup instead of tampons - this has been a HUGE eye opener for me. It's so comfortable, fine for yoga, surfing and snowboarding and will prevent hundreds of tampons going into waterways or landfill. I wish I discovered this years ago. everyone should make this change to a Luna Cup today! I have a discount code if anyone wants to buy a Lunette Menstrual cup - STOKED15 will get you 15% off :-)
Windsurfer Sarah Hauser lives on Maui, where she's a huge advocate for the environment. She's a co-founder of the Trashy Selfie project, which is designed to make clean up a little more fun. Pick up trash when you're at the beach, and tag it #trashyselfie!
- I use a reusable water bottle, coffee cup, grocery bag, produce bag, cutlery (I have this sort of army knife that has a fork, a spoon a knife and a bottle opener and it follows me pretty much everywhere)
- I use a bamboo toothbrush and make my own toothpaste with baking soda and stevia
- I try to eat local plant based foods or when I eat meat I choose local venison.
- Reusable bags
- No plastic straws
- Reef safe suncream
- Every time I am on a trail run or mountain bike ride, I pick up trash as I see it along the way. I also carry a small bag for garbage in my running or biking pack so that if the garbage I pick up is wet or extra icky, the contents of my bag is protected.
- I teach all of my mountain bike, ski and running clients the importance of leaving NO TRACE.
- Even though my son is only 2 years old, he already helps me clean up around the house as well as in nature. I believe that it's important to instill this in our children as young as possible - it truly is never too early to learn the impact we can all make on our world.
- As a mountain bike coach for our local WSCL team, we teach our students to not only clean up the trails that they are riding on, but we also have trail stewardship days where we clean up the trails together.
- I do the basics like pick up garbage, turn off lights and water when not needed, recycle.
- Choose products that are better for the earth, whether it’s packaging that’s more environmentally friendly (ex. glass over plastic), choosing quality products that last over cheaper products that will need replacing sooner from companies who care (ex. Sensi Bikinis), reducing the chemicals I put into the environment (ex. reef safe sunscreen)
- Reusable water bottles and coffee mugs. especially when traveling!